What to do if your version of WordPress needs updating
Are you using the latest version of WordPress? You may already be aware that a new version of the WordPress software has recently been released (version 3.6.1).
But how do I know which version of WordPress I am using?
In your WordPress admin panel, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and the version number will be visible in the bottom right hand corner. If the number is lower than 3.6.1, you are running an old version of the WordPress software and you need to update to version 3.6.1 as soon as possible. If it’s lower than 3, then you REALLY need to update to 3.6.1 as soon as possible.
Why should I bother updating WordPress?
- the new version of WordPress contains some very important security updates. You need to update your version of WordPress in order to minimise the risk of any security issues
- using the current version of WordPress earns SEO points with Google
- you will benefit from the latest functionality and speed improvements
How can I update WordPress?
- You could update WordPress and any plugins yourself. This is obviously the no-cost option. You would need to have an ‘FTP’ password for your site to give you access to do this, but please do NOT do this without taking a full backup of your site first. See this link for more information on backups. If there are any problems then you might need to buy in specialist help to fix them quickly so that your site is not down for too long.
- Buy a comprehensive monthly support package, including updates to WordPress and any plugins, a security check (to check whether your site is vulnerable to hackers, or has been hacked), a check to ensure that all links are working and a complete backup of your site every month. This is the premium option, but it does give you complete peace of mind that your WordPress website will be safe, secure and available to visitors at all times. You can buy this package from Outerbridge for just £99+VAT per month.
- Pay for a one-off update, to upgrade your site (and any associated plugins) to the latest version of WordPress. Outerbridge can do a one-off update for you.
What are plugins?
Most WordPress websites make use of plugins. They are small pieces of code that provide additional functions for your website (such as contact forms, social media buttons and sharing options, anti-spam filters etc.). Just like software, plugin authors release new versions of their plugins from time to time, to fix bugs, improve security or offer new functionality. Plugins often get forgotten, but it’s important to keep these updated too.